Krait venom is extremely neurotoxic and quickly induces muscle paralysis. Clinically, their venom contains pre-synaptic neurotoxins. These neurotoxins generally affect the nerve endings near the synaptic gap of the brain. Fortunately, since kraits are nocturnal they seldom encounter humans during daylight hours so incidents are rare. Note that there is frequently little or no pain from a krait bite and this can provide false reassurance to the victim. Typically, victims complain of severe abdominal cramps, accompanied by progressive paralysis. As there are no local symptoms, a patient should be carefully observed for signs of paralysis (eg the onset of ptosis) and treated urgently with antivenom. Note that it is also possible to support bite victims via mechanical ventilation, using equipment of the type generally available at hospitals. Such support should be provided until the venom is metabolised and the victim can breathe unaided. If death occurs it takes place approximately 6-8 hours after the krait bite. Cause of death is general respiratory failure i.e. suffocation.